In recent months, we've been hearing a lot of "MTN MoMo." It's become quite popular together with the catchphrase "Just MoMo It."
Is it different from MTN Mobile Money?
Some have been asking, "What is MTN MoMo?"
MTN MoMo is the same as MTN Mobile Money. MoMo is just the short word for Mobile Money.
We believe MTN Ghana is trying to gradually rebrand its mobile money service as MTN MoMo as Mobile Money sounds too generic.
Now that we are clear about what MoMo stands for, let's define it.
According to MTN Ghana, MTN MoMo is a fast, simple, convenient, secure and affordable way of transferring money, making payments and doing other transactions using a mobile phone.
MTN MoMo can be used for a variety of things, some of which are to:
1. Send and receive money anywhere in Ghana
2. Buy airtime and internet bundles
3. Pay bills (e.g. DSTV, ECG, GoTV, Ghana Water, MTN Post Paid, StarTimes, box office, school fees and many more)
4. Transfer money to and from banks and make withdrawals from ATMs
5. Receive remittances from abroad
7. Buy treasury bills
8. Apply for loan (QwikLoan)
9. Buy and sell MTN Ghana shares
10. Buy insurance policies
11. Make savings (Y'ello Save)
13. Buy online tickets for events
14. Pay for airline tickets
15. Trade shares listed on Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE)
To register, you will need a valid photo ID card (Voter's ID, National ID, Drivers' Licence, Passport)
1. Go to an MTN Mobile Money Authorised Merchant or the nearest MTN Office, and ask to be registered
2. The merchant will capture your personal details and give you a Mobile Money SIM card
3. Insert the SIM card in your phone. You will get an SMS asking you to register
4. Go to "My MTN" on your mobile phone and select "Mobile Money"
5. Select "Register" and enter your ID type and number
6. Select and repeat Mobile Money PIN (4 digits). Your MoMo PIN is your secret number, never share it with anyone including the merchant
A welcome message will be sent to your phone.
Congrats, you are now a registered MTN MoMo user.
Dial short code *170# and input 6 to check your MTN MoMo account balance.
You can now start enjoying all the benefits of MTN Mobile Money. To deposit money into your MoMo account, you can visit any authorised mobile money merchant to make the deposit.
Like our Facebook Page to get our weekly tips delivered to you